Ryan Swanson’s Licensing & Technology attorneys recognize that licenses, trademarks, and other forms of intellectual property are often a business’s most valuable asset. Located in Seattle, our attorneys make it a priority to obtain and maintain your competitive edge in the marketplace both in domestic and international capacities by helping to protect, license, and exploit your proprietary technology assets.
Our licensing attorneys cover all areas, including the licensing, enforcement, acquisition and transfer of trademark, copyright, patent, trade secrets and other proprietary rights, both nationally and internationally, whether in software, inventions, biomedical, telecommunications, life sciences, etc.
Examples of our intellectual property practice.
- Licenses and assignments of trademarks, patents, trade secrets, computer software and other copyright protected material, including licenses and assignments in business acquisition transactions, and the enforcement of such licenses and assignments.
- Litigation of the full range of intellectual property issues, including claims of infringement of trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, patents and trade secrets, enforcement of rights under licenses and confidentiality agreements, and trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Development and distribution of technical products worldwide, including licenses and OEM, VAR, distribution, strategic alliance, joint venture and dealer agreements.
- Licenses of life science technologies in various fields.
- Protection of trade secrets, confidential information and other intellectual property by contract, including license agreements, development agreements, support and maintenance agreements, confidentiality agreements, and non-competition agreements.
- Litigation, arbitration and mediation of claims.
- Establishment of rights to intellectual property as collateral in commercial transactions, including perfection and enforcement.
- Agreements dealing with software, life sciences, internet, electronic commerce, and telecommunications.
- Prepared numerous employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, termination agreements, work-for-hire agreements and assignments, and research and development agreements.
- Preparation of deferred compensation and stock option agreements for shareholders.
- Preparation of software, patent, technology and Internet licenses, development, distribution and representative agreements and strategic alliance agreements.
- Technology/Information Systems Services
Our technology/information systems services focus on helping clients plan and implement technology solutions from invention agreements to nondisclosure agreements, licenses, distribution arrangements, financing, strategic transactions, and alliances. In addition, our representation of developers, inventors, publishers and distributors provides us with a greater insight and perspective of the industry than most firms. Our range of services include:
- Protecting technology, sources or information (including ideas, processes, written materials, computer programs, illustrations, compilations of data, confidential business information) and names, words or symbols that identify a business or its products or services.
- Facilitating transactions and commerce involving ideas, products and services (including development, sale or acquisition, use, distribution, marketing, transfer, licensing, franchising, funding and investment requirements).
- Preparing for changes (anticipated or not) in the marketplace.
- Commencing enforcement actions and strategies to curtail infringement and technology piracy on a worldwide basis.
- Negotiation and preparation of documents for the sale of business as an asset purchase or as a stock purchase with recognition as an asset sale or as a stock sale.
- Preparation of documentation and general legal representation in connection with stock offerings, including high technology companies at various stages of development.
- Negotiation of point of sale turnkey systems, customized computer software systems, hardware, merchandising accounts payable, etc. and other computer related transactions.
- Distribution of software for shrink wrap, VARs, OEMs, manufacturers’ representatives, and site licenses and development agreements.
- Publisher agreements for books and life stories.
- Copyrights (of various types) including software and visual arts.
- Establishment of computer software and hardware firms for EDI business.
- Reorganization of technology corporation in fisheries business.
- Representation of several new technology software companies, including voice, graphics, and measuring devices.
- Joint ventures to exploit new patents in the avionics industry.
- Procurement of venture capital financing and negotiations of agreements for nationwide pay-per-view television series.
- Work on production, financing, protection and distribution of documentary film, pay-per-view television series, and annual sports specials for television.
- Representation of patent holder in negotiations culminating in the release from an old licensing agreement into a new multi-million dollar licensing agreement with the largest guitar company in the world.
- Negotiated talent engineer and recording contracts for performances and recordings.
- Negotiated leveraged buyout of shareholders using ESOP and an interest exclusion loan, combined with the offering of shares to a group of management employees coupled with a stock option.