Brian is the chair of Ryan Swanson’s Real Estate, Development & Finance Group. He focuses his practice on real estate transactions and debtor/creditor relations. Brian has drafted, negotiated and reviewed purchase and sale agreements, leases, loan documents and development agreements on behalf of lenders, borrowers, real estate developers and institutional land owners. He also has extensive experience in drafting condominium documents for residential, commercial and mixed-use new construction and condominium conversion projects. He has worked on a number of large scale projects throughout the City of Seattle and the greater Puget Sound area, but also enjoys helping small business and individuals accomplish their real estate goals. Brian was also one of the primary contributing drafters of the 2011 legislative amendments to the Washington State Receivership Act and has handled dozens of real estate transactions arising from state and federal insolvency proceedings.
- Represent Cornish College of the Arts in its acquisition, disposition, leasing, development and financing of multiple downtown Seattle properties related to its campus relocation from Seattle’s Capitol Hill to the South Lake Union/Denny Triangle neighborhood.
- Represent City of Seattle in negotiation of mixed-use development agreement for Seattle Civic Square located at 3rd and James in downtown Seattle.
- Represented developer/borrower in connection with $255 million construction financing and negotiation of development agreement with adjacent property owner (Rainier Club) for mixed-use tower project at Fifth and Columbia in downtown Seattle.
- Represent publicly traded Real Estate Investment Trust in various acquisition, disposition and financing matters for shopping centers located throughout the Puget Sound region, including grocery-anchored mixed use development projects in condominium structure.
- Represent Australian investment bank in negotiation and closing of $30 million deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transaction and its subsequent ownership, management and liquidation of 182 unit condominium development located in Seattle, Washington.
- Represented developer/borrower in connection with acquisition and planned redevelopment of historical restaurant/warehouse building on Seattle waterfront.
- Represent purchaser in $46 million acquisition and subsequent leasing of multi-building office park located in Kent, Washington.
- Represent seller of multi-property assisted living and senior housing apartment portfolio for combined $36 million sales price.
- Represent publicly traded community bank in receivership, bankruptcy, and foreclosure proceedings, and its subsequent ownership, management, leasing and resale of $22 million loan portfolio secured by commercial property located in greater Seattle area (In Re Michael R. Mastro).
- Represent senior secured creditor and loan servicer in negotiation and confirmation of $38 million Chapter 11 plan involving multi-tiered loan facility secured by office buildings located throughout Washington (In Re CDC Properties I).
- Turn Out the Lights, the Party’s Over: Advising Borrowers, Tenants, Subordinate Lienholders and Guarantors After Foreclosure, Washington State Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Quarterly Newsletter, Spring 2013
- Recourse Carve-Out Liability for Borrowers and Guarantors, Washington State Bar Association Creditor Debtor Rights Quarterly Newsletter, Summer 2012
- Navigating the Foreclosure Process: Here Are Some Tips That Could Help Protect Lenders Faced With Foreclosing on Condominium Projects, Mortgage Banking, April 2009
- New Washington State Law That Was Intended to Protect Home Buyers Also Covers Other Types of Property, Puget Sound Business Journal, March 2008
- Law Seminars International 23rd Annual Commercial Real Estate Purchase and Sale Transactions Conference. Co-chair with Jennifer D. Cobb, April 13-14, 2017
- Law Seminars International 22nd Annual Real Estate Purchase & Sales Conference. Co-chair with Jennifer D. Cobb, March 21-22, 2016
- “Case law and Statutory Update,” Washington State Bar Association Mid-year Real Property, Probate and Trust Section Conference. Co-presented with Scott B. Osborne, June 2012
- “Case law and Statutory Update,” Washington State Bar Association Mid-year Real Property, Probate and Trust Section Conference. Co-presented with Charles H. Royce, June 2011
- K&L Gates Distressed Real Estate Finance Series: Condominium and Planned Unit Development Considerations,” continuing legal education program, July 2010
- “Condo Project in Trouble,” Washington State Bar Association Fall Real Estate Conference, December 2008
- Member, Executive Committee of the WSBA Real Property Probate and Trust Section
- Member, Editorial Board of the WSBA Real Property Probate and Trust Quarterly Newsletter (regular author of state-wide real property case law update)
- Member, Eller College Associates, advisory committee to the University of Arizona College of Business and Public Administration
- Ambassador, University of Arizona College of Law