Robert is a member of Ryan Swanson’s Litigation; Real Estate, Development & Finance; and Healthcare practice groups. His practice focuses on the areas of real estate, construction, general commercial matters and healthcare. He has tried jury and non-jury trials in state and federal courts and helped guide clients through alternative dispute resolution. He has also represented clients before the Court of Appeals in Washington, the Court of Appeal in California and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Robert’s representative work includes trials, motion practice and mediated disputes on behalf of retailers, health care providers, businesses and individuals.
- Mukilteo Retirement Apartments, LLC v. Mukilteo Investors, LP, et al., Snohomish County Superior Court. Robert helped represent a tenant to enforce its rights under an option agreement. The dispute went to trial and the trial court ordered the landlord to sell the real property and awarded substantial damages to the tenant for the landlord’s wrongful delay in the sale of the facility. Published decision at 176 Wn. App. 244, 310 P.3d 814 (2013).
- Nunnery v. Evergreen Kitsap, LLC, et al., Snohomish County Superior Court. Robert defended a skilled nursing facility against claims of negligence, outrage and neglect of a vulnerable adult. Following a three week trial, the jury returned a defense verdict on all claims.
- Payne v. Canterbury House, LLC, et al., King County Superior Court. Robert defended a skilled nursing facility against claims of negligence, outrage and neglect of a vulnerable adult in a jury trial. After three weeks of trial, the Court declared a mistrial and awarded sanctions against the plaintiff.
- Brown v. Holder, Pierce County Superior Court. Robert successfully helped a partnership pursue claims against another partner for breach of fiduciary duty and conversion of partnership assets.
- New Albertson’s, Inc. v. AMEC Earth & Environmental, Inc., et al. Robert helped a retailer resolve claims against two contractors arising from alleged faulty construction of a parking lot.
- Sunwoo v. Myall, King County Superior Court. Robert helped property owners to successfully defeat a neighbor’s claim for a prescriptive easement following a bench trial.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, LTC Risk Legal Forum
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Member, KCBA Judicial Screening Committee
- Member of DRI Committees on Retail & Hospitality, Medical Liability, and Construction
- Associate Member, Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys