We are no longer accepting applications for our 2018 summer associate program.
The Summer Associate Program description below is a general description of what an applicant can expect once the recruitment process opens in the future.
Our Summer Associate Program
Our summer associate program gives students an idea of what it is like to be an associate and, eventually, a member of the firm. We know life at Ryan Swanson is unique. Excerpts from our firm credo share how we practice law:
- “We practice as a firm, not as individuals.”
- “In all matters, we shall undertake to represent each of our clients as we would want to be represented.”
- “We strive to enable our employees to grow to their highest potential while rewarding their personal efforts and contributions.”
- “We recognize our obligations to our families and to the community in which we live and work.”
- “We support civic activities and encourage our members to participate in them.”
- “We reject, however, the concept that the practice of law is to be shaped by a profit orientation which diverts and obstructs us from the achievement of our professional goals. We view our ultimate objective as the rendering of quality service.”
We are looking to hire bright, motivated and well-rounded law students with skills that will enhance the firm’s goals and credo. The firm prides itself on involving its summer associates in work assignments that are challenging, substantive, reflect the realities of practicing law, and provide value both to the summer associate and the client for whom the work is performed.
We interview and hire second-year law students to participate in our program and consider a variety of factors in the selection process:
- academic record
- involvement in journals and/or moot court
- work and leadership experience
- law school activities
- community involvement
- commitment to the Seattle area
- intelligent, motivated team player
- a wide range of interests
Our search for summer associates begins in August and ends in October. We interview on campus at the University of Washington School of Law and the Seattle University School of Law. We also welcome applications from students attending law schools in other states. When candidates receive and accept an invitation to interview with us, they typically meet with three to five attorneys on the Hiring Committee.
We’re a leader in providing legal counsel and representation for Pacific Northwest businesses of all kinds; small, large, privately-held, public, domestic or international. We address issues with a mix of creative problem-solving and a common-sense approach to deliver sound, cost-effective solutions.
For over a century, we’ve been committed to exceptional representation and today our lawyers and staff remain dedicated to that commitment This dedication, together with our unique skills and backgrounds, enables us to handle sophisticated transactions and complex multi-party lawsuits, without sacrificing personal attention.
A few of the firm’s representative clients include:
- Philips Healthcare
- Bsquare Corporation
- American Seafoods Co.
- Chinasoft International
- Nintendo of America Inc.
- Sage Bionetworks
- SSA Marine
- Harbor Wholesale
- Maria Hines Restaurants
- Tableau Software
- Transgroup Worldwide Logistics
- Washington State Auto Dealers Association
Working with Us
Our summer associates enjoy challenging, diverse assignments and the opportunity to work with a variety of practice areas. As part of the program, summer associates develop skills by researching and drafting memoranda, pleadings and briefs, corporate documents and letters to clients. To gain practical experience, summer associates also attend depositions, mediations, hearings, closings, client meetings, trials and other business activities. Immediately, they are included in firm activities, associate meetings, practice group meetings, and training sessions.
Our attorneys provide a well-rounded learning experience and feedback throughout the summer to aid in professional development.
Summer associates receive a salary competitive with similar firms in Seattle.
But it’s not all work and no play. The firm plans a number of social and cultural events throughout the summer to help summer associates develop relationships within the firm. All of the events are true to who we are: fun, relaxed and informal.