Gulliver brings a litigator’s mindset when counseling clients on a wide variety of issues affecting their business. He enjoys the challenges of being a lawyer and working with business owners to unwind complex matters and to get down to the real concerns affecting their business. Gulliver fights for his clients using a unique approach that involves compatibility and creativity to solve problems of all sizes.
Gulliver’s practice as advisor to young businesses and general counsel for mid-sized businesses isn’t defined by a specific area of law. Rather, the results he gets for clients are the product of his relationships with the people whose business livelihood may be dependent on his ability to help them get out of a jam, problem solve and position themselves for future success. Gulliver is an engaged lawyer who asks the right questions that speak to the root of the legal and business issue at hand.
- Gulliver’s ability to think well on his feet grows from finding the best way to take a client’s litigation matter and get the best result for them. He has led/chaired many trials and arbitrations and has an active motions practice which includes obtaining multiple emergency temporary restraining orders protecting his client’s interests.
- His work for business owners and employers includes prosecuting and defending workplace issues that involve non-compete, severance and other employment agreements, wage and hour disputes, executive compensation, and compliance with state and federal employment law.
- Banking and private lending clients rely on Gulliver to determine the most effective way to collect on obligations. He has substantial experience dealing with non-performing assets, which also include complicated workout agreements, pursuing borrowers through litigation, representing clients and bankruptcy creditors (and in contested adversary proceedings), and appointing and working with receivers and judicial and non-judicial foreclosures.
- Gulliver’s insurance clients depend on his guidance to negotiate contested matters, enforcement actions and other administrative proceedings before the Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner. His experience over the years working directly before the OIC, and his related appellate work, position Gulliver as an effective ally for these often difficult matters.
- Gulliver’s significant work in the securities area includes representing defrauded purchasers of securities, protecting broker-dealers from having its employees raided by competitors, obtaining injunctions to protect client lists and trade secrets, and representing broker-dealers of brokers in forgivable loan disputes. Having represented clients in court, Gulliver’s ability issue-spot potential concerns compliment his work for securities clients.
- Gulliver’s experience has included a variety of real estate issues that arise on behalf of individuals and business owners. He offers business guidance on real estate issues involving broker and property disputes and encumbrances, easements, neighbor disputes, receiverships, purchase and sale of real property, partition actions, foreclosure sales and non-judicial foreclosures.
- Ryan Swanson’s Annual Employment Law Update (2009 – present)
Honors & Awards
- Named to Washington Rising Star® list six times