Working with aggressive advocacy and ongoing communication to provide preventative counsel and litigation services to efficiently meet the strategic goals of each client.
Jennifer is Of Counsel at Ryan Swanson, working primarily in the firm’s Employment Rights, Benefits & Labor practice group. She provides defense services under the Washington Workers’ Compensation and Washington Industrial Safety and Health acts. She also works with employers and HR professionals to address wage disputes, hiring/termination and review of employment agreements.
Before joining the firm, Jennifer represented employers before the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals and Superior Courts as well as provided corporate counsel services to a broad range of industries including hospitality, construction, transportation, retail, staffing and healthcare.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “Workers’ Compensation: Tips for Navigating the Tough Claims“, Ryan Swanson’s 34th Annual Employment Law Virtual Seminar (September 2022)
- “Appealing a WISHA Citation: Focus on the Reassumption Hearing“, Ryan Swanson’s 34th Annual Employment Law Virtual Seminar (September 2022)
- “Risky Terminations,” co-presented at the Washington State SHRM Annual Conference, (March 2022)
- “Course of Employment when Employment Happens Anywhere,” co-presented at the Washington Self-Insurers Association 50th Annual Conference, (June 2021)
- “When to hire a Workers’ Comp Attorney in 2021,” Approach Management Services, (April 2021)
- “The Approach Online Brain Trust #4 – COVID-19 from the Legal Perspective: Insulate Your Organization from Possible Citations,” (May 2020)
- “Just got an L&I safety citation? Here’s what you should do next,” Daily Journal of Commerce, (February 2020)
- “Are you ready for an L&I safety investigation?” Daily Journal of Commerce, (February 2020)
- “Is your Washington worker truly an “Independent Contractor”? (January 2020)
- “The Intersection of Workers’ Compensation, WISHA and Audits,” (September 2019)
- “Protest Challenges as a State Fund Employer: How to encourage the Department to issue favorable orders while preserving the record to set the stage for successful litigation,” (April 2019)
- “Significant cases of the Washington Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals,” (September 2018)
- “The Washington DOSH Naughty List: Insight into the Severe Violator Enforcement Program,” (September 2018)
- “Surprise! You have been selected for a Washington workers’ compensation audit,” (June 2017)
- “Top Strategies for Appealing Safety Citations,” BIIA Workshop, Washington Self-Insurers Association, (June 2017)
- “Washington Self-Insurers Association Webinar: Better Safe Than Sorry,” (January 2016)
- “WISHA safety investigations: when to seek legal guidance, Part 2: appeal process overview,” (October 2015)
- “WISHA safety investigations: when to seek legal guidance, Part 1: initial inspections,” (September 2015)
- Cantonese (conversational)