With a Seattle presence, Kevin is a well-known business and technology lawyer. He advises clients on a full range of legal issues including business and deal structures; branding, protecting, licensing, franchising, trademarking, advertising, selling and distributing goods, services, technologies and intellectual properties; start-up and emerging businesses; mergers and acquisitions; real estate; and bringing businesses into the U.S. or to international markets.
Kevin represents numerous traditional businesses as their BUSINESS ATTORNEY, from startups to multi-national companies, through all stages of growth. He is a highly respected FRANCHISE AND DISTRIBUTION lawyer, working with franchises throughout the U.S. and in most countries around the world. He has a large domestic and international TRADEMARK AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY practice with thousands of successful registrations and enforcements. Kevin is recognized as one of Seattle’s leading LICENSING & TECHNOLOGY lawyers.
Kevin served as Chair of the firm’s Business Practice Group for 23 years, and currently leads the firm’s Franchise & Distribution, Trademarks and Intellectual Property, and Licensing & Technology Teams. Kevin’s practice emphasizes being a RESPONSIVE PROBLEM SOLVER and TRUSTED ADVISOR with a positive attitude. He is a deal maker who understands business realities and technologies. Present a complex problem and goal to Kevin and he will provide the options and devise a strategy and proper vehicle for your solution in Humanese Over Legalese.™
- Established numerous franchise concepts with registrations in U.S. and in foreign countries.
- Obtained thousands of trademark registrations and licenses in U.S. and foreign countries.
- Prepared numerous patent, software, technology and Internet licenses and agreements.
- Formed and maintained hundreds of business entities.
- Handled hundreds of sales, mergers and purchases of businesses.
- Undertaken collateralization of numerous foreign and domestic loans.
- Negotiated hundreds of leases with office buildings, shopping centers and malls.
- Prepared numerous relationship documents, including employment, shareholder, deferred compensation, stock option, profit interest, invention, confidentiality know-how, strategic alliance, non-intervention, non-solicitation and non-competition agreements.
- Long-term representation of over 30 years with clients in trade groups such as franchising/distribution, advertising, freight forwarders, manufacturers and foundries, real estate developers and brokers, investors, family trusts, software developers, inventors, patent holders, retailers, restaurants, consultants, computer services providers, home medical distributors and wholesalers.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Frequent speaker and author on such topics as:
- drafting contracts in plain English
- franchising and distribution strategies
- representing franchisees
- trademark protection and enforcement tips worldwide
- advanced licensing, cloud computing
- eCommerce and Internet issues
- advanced start-up business issues
- strategic alliances and where to use them
- entity selection and formation inside strategies
- using limited liability companies (versus S Corporations)
- raising private and venture capital
- mergers and acquisitions
- law office management
- use of technology in the practice of law
- professional responsibility
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, International Franchise Association (and Supplier Forum)
- Member, International Trademark Association (Member Public Resources Committee)
- Member, Computer Law Association
- Member, various American Bar Association sections including Forum on Franchising, Small Business, Intellectual Property, Corporate Governance (Current Events and Emergency Issues Committee), and Cyberspace law sections
- Former President and Emcee of Northwest Entrepreneurs Network
- Former Northwest U.S. and Western Canada Alumni Chair of BYU Law School
- Former National Representative of Beta Theta Pi
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Who’s Who Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievment Award for Unwavering Excellence (2017)
- Certified Franchise Executive (CFE) – one of only a handful of attorneys to be awarded the designation by the Institute of Certified Franchise Executives, an affiliate of the International Franchise Association Educational Foundation (2004-2010)
- Washington CEO Magazine, “Top Lawyers in Washington” (2008)
- Seattle Magazine, “Top Lawyer” (2001)
- Named to Washington Super Lawyers® list (1999-2000)
- Listed in the following:
- Continental Who’s Who Registry of National Business Leaders – VIP Member
- Madison’s Who’s Who
- Madison’s Who’s Who Among Professionals and Executives – Honors Edition
- International Executive Guild’s Who’s Who
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America
- Who’s Who in Practicing Attorneys
- International Who’s Who
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Men of Achievement
- Directory of Intellectual Property Lawyers and Patent Agents
- Who’s Who in the Computer Industry
- Washington’s International Trade Directory
- International Who’s Who of Professionals
- Fellow of North American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- International Registry of Outstanding Professionals
- Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals
- Who’s Who Legal U.S.A.
- Marquis’ Who’s Who