Ryan Swanson lawyers have been providing counsel to community associations involving complex litigation and general counsel work for many years. We provide analysis, problem-solving, planning, litigation and dispute resolution services encompassing a wide array of issues, including:
- governance and procedure
- rental restrictions
- architectural control
- CC&R and Rule enforcement
- government agency interface and compliance
- premises liability
- construction defects
- contractor and developer disputes
- employment law
- fair housing and disability issues
- governing document review, evaluation and amendment
Our general counsel services vary from simple document review, assisting boards of directors in their understanding on discrete issues as questions arise, to more complex matters. For example, we regularly counsel our association clients on matters involving:
- questions regarding allocations of authority or maintenance responsibility
- allocations of common expenses and situations where special charges to individual units, or less than all units may apply
- borrowing authority and Association loans
- damage and repair obligations
- specific rules enforcement
- fine policies and procedures
- insurance claims when carriers deny coverage or are non-responsive
- easements and special use fees
- code compliance and environmental issues
Our association clients need experienced counsel with an objective perspective, and knowledge of their daily challenges. We have that knowledge and perspective.
Additional Areas of Strength
Employment Rights and Labor
Since the late 1960s, our Employment Rights and Labor Team has actively provided counseling and litigation services covering all aspects of the employer-employee relationship. Areas of focus include:
- ADA/Disability Accommodation
- Non-Competition/Trade Secrets
- Safety and Health; WISHA/OSHA Violation Challenges
- Wrongful Discharge/Public Policy
- Workers’ Compensation
- Wage and Hour
- National Labor Relations Matters
Our team has represented community association clients in countless lawsuits over employment issues. We are skillful, creative and efficient in our work, and always keep our eye on the ultimate goal – to meet our clients’ goals and minimize exposure at the lowest cost.
We draft policies, procedures and handbooks, provide ongoing advice as particular employment situations arise and assist our clients in creating win-win situations with their employees. In addition, we conduct an annual employment law update seminar for clients, furnish them with bulletins and update them as employment laws change.
Real Estate & Construction
Real estate and construction matters have been a significant part of Ryan Swanson’s practice since its founding in 1897. In the early 1900s, the firm was involved in the development of buildings in downtown Seattle. Since that time, we have expanded our services and today, provide assistance in the sale, leasing, financing and development of a wide variety of real estate projects, including hospitals and other health care facilities, shopping centers, office buildings, industrial parks, private and multi-family residences, urban and suburban parcels, and roadway improvements.
We have represented numerous condominium associations and homeowner associations in real property and construction-related litigation as well as planning and contracting relating to large improvement and repair projects.
How We Deliver
When representing community associations, we distinguish ourselves by combining creative problem solving with a common-sense approach. Our constant focus is to provide clients with sound advice and practical solutions in a cost-effective manner. This dedication is combined with a number of characteristics that enable us to serve our clients with more personal attention.
- emphasis on service and responsiveness, but with thoughtful evaluation
- committed and available team – ready to address all of our clients current and future community association needs
- extensive experience with the myriad of applicable statutes and interpretation of governing documents
- mindful of our clients’ need to manage legal costs
Please contact Jo Flannery for any questions or concerns you might have about your community, condominium or homeowners association.